Before Chicago’s official city tree was located in Daley Plaza, it stood proudly every year in Grant Park at Congress and Michigan.
The first city tree (a 35-foot spruce) was lit in 1913 by then Mayor Carter Harrison, Jr. In 1956, a huge, single tree was replaced by a tree made of many smaller trees – up to 70 feet in height with 4,000 lights.
When Daley (Civic) Plaza was completed in 1966, the city’s Christmas tree would be permanently relocated there. And later – after many years – would revert to the huge, single tree.